This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SummerVino #VeranoSutter #
How’s your summer going so far? I truly hope you’re enjoying it. As I mentioned last week, we’ve been trying to stay active to help us balance out all the eating that this season brings but today’s post is all about food and having a good time with amigas and a good vino (of course!)
Sometimes you just want to stay inside or close to home and chit-chat, play games, easy good food and sip a glass or two of your favorite Sutter Home wine.
Here’s what you’ll need to create the perfect outdoor experience:
- small table
- large blanket
- an outdoor pillow for each person
- your favorite Sutter Home wines
- wine glasses
- food / snacks / appetizers
First, pick an outdoor space (backyard, maybe?) and set a blanket and pillows. Setup the table with all the necessary things to have at hand. For my get together, I prepared an easy orzo salad with asparagus and mushrooms. It was light and perfect to enjoy outdoors with una copa of chardonnay.
The fried yuca was not part of my menu but we had some left over from breakfast (yes, yuca is part of a dominican breakfast) and my husband decided to fry them. They were rica, rica so I couldn’t complain and my friends loved them too.
Here’s a display of the main ingredient for this easy and delicious salad but keep on reading for the full list and how to prepare it.
- 1 lb Orzo pasta
- 10 oz Mushroom (1 pack, chopped)
- 1 pack - Asparagus (~12-15 sticks) (chopped in small pieces)
- 1 can - Corn
- 1 stalk - Celery (diced very small)
- 1 small/medium red bell pepper
- 1 large onion (diced and divided in two parts)
- 2 tablespoons - olive oil
- 6 tablespoons - unsalted butter
- 6 garlic cloves (or garlic powder)
- salt & pepper
- Place orzo in boiling water and add salt and olive oil.
- In a separate pan, add butter and when it melts, add half of the chopped onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Once the onions become translucent, add in the mushrooms and stir -- covering the mushrooms in the seasoned onion and butter.
- Drain the orzo pasta (save 3 cups of the drained liquid.)
- Add corn, red bell pepper, celery and the remaining onion.
- Pour in the mushroom mix and add the asparagus.
- Taste and, if necessary, add more salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Cover for 5 minutes and serve hot or as a cold salad. Your choice.
I setup the backyard with all necessary things we’d need to keep us busy outside, including a few games like a deck of cards, dominoes and Jenga. It was such a fun experience and we enjoyed the games and it was all more fun with a glass of vino.
I love Sutter Home wines not just for the delicious taste but they have a 65 year history of providing award-winning California wines and a promise to deliver consistent product quality and superior value in every single bottle.
What do you think? What else would you add to a fun and relaxed evening in the patio with your friends? Cheers!